Monday, 14 June 2021
Monday, 24 May 2021
Wednesday, 21 April 2021
St George Community Association will hold an Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 12 May at 7.30pm.
St George Community Association is the registered charity and not-for-profit company that runs St George Community Centre. The AGM is a public meeting where we will present our annual accounts for 2019/20, elect committee members and present our plans for the year ahead.
If you would like to attend, please register on Eventbrite. This is an online meeting, we will send out a zoom link to confirmed Eventbrite attendees shortly before the event.
Tuesday, 2 March 2021
Role Title: Volunteer Treasurer, St George Community Association (SGCA)
Purpose/summary of role
- To record accurately financial activity of SGCA
- To keep the committee informed of SGCA's financial position in a timely manner.
- To provide guidance to the committee on SGCA's financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are handled safely and accurate records are kept
- Maintain a local bank account in SGCA's name, making sure that all income is banked upon receipt into our account.
- Record all assets of SGCA, making sure arrangements exist for their safekeeping
- Work with our accountants to prepare Annual Accounts and present them at our Annual General Meeting
- Update HMRC online payroll systems monthly for any employees of the organisation and complete quarterly and annual reports as required
- Ensure that SGCA complies with requirements from HMRC, Companies House and the Charity Commission, including submitting relevant forms/returns in a timely manner
- Report to and advise the committee on SGCA's financial position. This is good governance and will help the organisation make informed decisions
- Attend all meetings of the committee, as far as is practicable. The committee usually meets every 6 weeks.
- Make sure financial decisions are agreed by the committee in a minuted committee meeting.
- Serve as a Director of the SGCA company limited by guarantee, alongside the Chair and Secretary.
We would expect the Treasurer to commit to the role for a minimum of 12 months. We would expect that the Treasurer would need to commit 2-3 hrs a week in this role, this will vary depending on the time of year e.g. more hours may be required to complete the annual accounts.
The Treasurer is a very important role in the organisation, and will work closely with the Chair. We have a very active and supportive committee who will assist the Treasurer as required. We will carry out a review after the Treasurer has been in post for six months to ensure the role is fully supported.
Benefits to volunteer
This is a great opportunity to contribute to the work of St George Community Association if you have experience of, or are interested in book keeping. The treasurer’s role is essential for making sure our organisation runs successfully and continues to provide an affordable community venue for local residents.
Informal interview with the Chair and other member of the committee as appropriate. We will also require satisfactory references.
St George Community Association is a registered charity and not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. It was set up in 1987 by by a group of local residents who felt that there was a need for a community centre in St George. They originally met in a local library and held events in St George Park. After many years of campaigning a local building was found on the site of the old grammar school canteen. The building was in complete disrepair and eventually, in 1995, grant aid was given by Bristol City Council and the new Community Centre was built.
The organisation has a Community Asset Transfer from Bristol City Council, who lease us the building rent free. In return we look after and run the building for the benefit of residents in St George. This means that all hire income is used to maintain the centre and develop new community activities.
Our turnover is currently around £20,000 per annum with additional grant funding anticipated this year. The bulk of our income comes from our regular hirers, followed by weekend parties and special event bookings (covid permitting!) We apply for small grants for specific projects e.g. replacing the flooring in the main hall, new signage. We raise a small amount from community events such as our Christmas Fair, Table Top sales, Family fun days etc.
Our volunteer committee of local residents runs the organisation, our current committee is listed below. The Chair, Treasurer and Secretary also serve as Directors of our company limited by guarantee We have a paid Centre Manager for 20 hours a week. We also have a cleaner for 4 hours a week and an ad hoc gardener/handyman.
Tamsin Harcourt (Chair)
David Dunce (Treasurer)
Jill Gettrup (Secretary)
Thursday, 10 December 2020
Tuesday, 20 October 2020
Thursday, 8 October 2020
We're excited to tell you about the FREE Nature Explorer kits now available from My Wild Child and Avon Wildlife Trust.
Each kit contains a range of activities for under 5s (siblings might enjoy them too!), and each new activity will link to a video which AWT will post once a fortnight, so stay tuned! Here's Freya from AWT explaining a little about the kits and the first activity! Link to youtube
You can collect a kit from the St George Community Centre yard. You’ll need to use your owl eyes to find the little plastic shed (next to the bigger wooden shed). There’s a special combination code padlock. To find out the code please email firstname.lastname@example.org or join the My Wild Child Facebook group.